About the Course
This one-day great value course provides skills, knowledge and techniques to evaluate development interventions. The course covers current thinking in Development Evaluation and based on the Evaluation competency map built by IMI.
The Evaluating Development Course assumes that participants are familiar with the Theory of Change, Logical Framework, Indicators and general definitions and approaches. If not, we recommend that the Monitoring Development and Designing Development Interventions being held immediately before be taken.
David brings to the teaching 36 years of working in International Development across most countries in Africa and Asia and is regarded as one of the leaders in building M&E capacity. David was a founder Director and Managing Director of IMA and Director of Effective Development at GRM Futures and has led many evaluations.
Participants will generally be working for NGOs, Governments, Donors, Corporates, and Consultancies or as independent consultants. It is hoped that participants can bring examples with them and use the opportunity to discuss their work and problems being faced.
Each participant will be supplied with a flash stick with a series of reference materials, handouts and templates that IMI has produced providing opportunity for self-learning after completion of the course.
After the course you will be able to:
- Describe the main purposes of evaluation
- Describe what is evaluation and why evaluate
- List common standards and principles that guide international development evaluations
- Describe the Development Assistance Criteria (DAC)
- Identify different types of evaluations
- Understand that different types of evaluation have different purposes and focus
- Explain key steps needed to follow to conduct a Baseline Study
- Frame evaluation questions
- Articulate the need to be aware of ethics applied to development evaluation
- Explain Theory Based Evaluation
- Develop an evaluation plan for a given set of information
- Select the best impact evaluation methods for a given situation
- Select and construct data collection instruments
- Understand experimental design methods
- Understand how to run a Randomised Control Trial
- Understand sampling and statistical considerations
- Link quantitative and qualitative approaches
- Explain Outcome Mapping
- Understand how to analyse data
- Understand how to manage an evaluation
- List different ways to provide opportunities for lessons learned as a result of a completed evaluation
- Explain how reports and evaluations should be used to enhance performance
Available Special Course
Fee US$ 290
The course can be run on demand for groups at any time in any location. Please contact email@example.com if you would like to run the course at your location.
David Hearle is very well recognised in international development as an M&E specialist with 32 years’ experience in Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe, the Middle East and, South America. This has involved working as project director, team leader, consultant and trainer in 28 countries for many of the UN agencies, World Bank, EU, numerous bilateral donors, including DFID, SDC, GTZ and many national and international NGOs. David is the Managing Director of IMI and previously Director of IMA, Director of Futures Academy and Director of the Effective Development Group.
Registration and help
Registration for the Designing Development Intervention course can be done by clicking here and registering on line. If you prefer to register off line or need more details, please contact:
For more information on the course content and if you are group please contact:
(or call ++ 61 438 730204)
All participants will be presented with a certificate of attendance at the end of the course.
Some Participants’ Review
Excellent overview of the evaluation held with a true expert who knows theories and have tremendous held experience to share. All examples given are very practical
This was a great course! Highly recommended
The training was extremely informative, enjoyable and interactive. David is wonderful! Great food as well.
It was a good opportunity to evaluate ourselves and learn from others
Extremely detailed two courses on M&E and Development. The exercises and interactive learning sessions were very useful. The broad range of experience of the participants was very helpful in the learning of the course. David made it very accessible to someone totally new to the field.
For the people who are working in the field of M&E, and wants to broaden knowledge, I will recommend IMI as the ultimate destination in context of knowledge and budget