About the Course
This one day great value course provides an understanding of the main tools used to design International Development Projects and Programmes.Participants will work through all stages of project and programme design supported by a case study with a focus on Theory of Change and the Logical Framework.
Participants will generally be working for NGOs, Governments, Donors, Corporates, and Consultancies or as independent consultants.
The course will be led by David Hearle who brings to the teaching 36 years of working in International Development across most countries in Africa and Asia and regarded as one of the leaders in International Development. As part of the course David will provide a flash stick with valuable reference materials and templates.
After the course you will be able to
- Explain the rationale for having a Theory of Change
- Complete a Theory of Change for a given set of information
- Understand the importance of the Results Chain to project design, implementation, and evaluation
- Explain how to undertake a Stakeholder Analysis and tools to use
- Develop a problem tree and objectives tree as a basis for constructing a Logical Framework
- Explain the value of developing a Logical Framework
- Develop a Logical Framework for a given set of information
- Complete a Log Frame for a given set of information
- Describe the steps to identify, assess and manage risks
- Describe risk management options and how they are overcome as part of the design process
- List a range of other tools that can be used for designing development interventions
- Understand where design fits into the project cycle and the nuances the main donors bring
Available Special Course
Fee US$ 290
The course can be run on demand for groups at any time in any location. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to run the course at your location.
David Hearle is very well recognised in international development as an M&E specialist with 32 years’ experience in Africa, Asia, Australasia, Europe, the Middle East and, South America. This has involved working as project director, team leader, consultant and trainer in 28 countries for many of the UN agencies, World Bank, EU, numerous bilateral donors, including DFID, SDC, GTZ and many national and international NGOs. David is the Managing Director of IMI and previously Director of IMA, Director of Futures Academy and Director of the Effective Development Group.
Registration and help
Registration for the Designing Development Intervention course can be done by clicking here and registering on line. If you prefer to register off line or need more details, please contact:
For more information on the course content and if you are group please contact:
(or call ++ 61 438 730204)
All participants will be presented with a certificate of attendance at the end of the course.
Some Participants’ Review
Excellent overview of the evaluation held with a true expert who knows theories and have tremendous held experience to share. All examples given are very practical
This was a great course! Highly recommended
The training was extremely informative, enjoyable and interactive. David is wonderful! Great food as well.
It was a good opportunity to evaluate ourselves and learn from others
Extremely detailed two courses on M&E and Development. The exercises and interactive learning sessions were very useful. The broad range of experience of the participants was very helpful in the learning of the course. David made it very accessible to someone totally new to the field.
For the people who are working in the field of M&E, and wants to broaden knowledge, I will recommend IMI as the ultimate destination in context of knowledge and budget